CLEP®, AP & DSST Testing Information
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®) Iowa Lakes Community College
Credit by College Level Examination Program (CLEP®) at Iowa Lakes Community College
- Iowa Lakes Community College will grant up to 30 semester hours of credit by examination. The CLEP® exams published by the College Entrance Examination Board represent the primary vehicle through which individuals may gain college credit by demonstrating learning that has occurred in a nontraditional manner.
- Iowa Lakes Community College will charge an administration fee of $15.00 for each CLEP® exam given. There will also be a $5.00 per course fee for recording each CLEP® applicable score on an official Iowa Lakes Community College transcript as they relate to specific Iowa Lakes Community College courses.
- The cost of the CLEP exam is $80 and must be paid online with a credit card – Iowa Lakes cannot accept this payment.
- Most CLEP exams are 90 minutes in length and can earn a student a minimum of three college credits.
- In addition, prior to issuing a transcript, an application for admission to the college must be completed and submitted to the Admissions Office. Credit is granted only after 12 or more credits have been earned in residence.
- A student may take subject and/or general examinations, provided credit has not been received for any courses in that area prior to taking the exam. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Registrar. Students who wish to take the CLEP® exam should consult a counselor or registrar to insure that acceptable credit will be earned. If scores are to be used at another educational institution, verification of acceptance of the CLEP® scores should be obtained prior to taking the exam with that institution.
- Students who transfer to Iowa Lahttps://clep.collegeboard.org/about/score kes Community College from institutions where CLEP® credit has previously been earned must submit actual CLEP® scores for evaluation by the Registrar at Iowa Lakes Community College.
Policy for registering for a College Level Examination Program (CLEP®) at Iowa Lakes Community College
- It is strongly recommended that students use the CLEP®-Official Study Guides before registering for an exam. These can be found in the Success/Advising Center or online at https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-preparation.
- Create a personal account at www.collegeboard.com
- Register for the exam you plan to take online, using your personal account. You will be required to pay the $80 exam fee at this time.
a. You must complete the registration and payment process online before arriving for your exam. Iowa Lakes Community College is not allowed to collect the CLEP examination fee.
- Print off your voucher and bring it with you when you take your exam.
a. Iowa Lakes Community College will charge an exam administration fee of $15.00 per test. Please bring this payment with you in the form of cash or check.
- Call the Success/Advising Center, at the campus you wish to test at, to schedule your exam date and time. (Please call at least 2 days prior.)
a. Algona – 515-295-8521
b. Emmetsburg – 712-852-5255
c. Estherville – 712-362-7935
d. Spencer – 712-262-8622
e. Spirit Lake – 712-336-6564
Please visit https://clep.collegeboard.org/started or call the Success/Advising Center if you have further questions.