STEM Teacher Externships
The Iowa STEM Teacher Externships program provides opportunities for educators to work with local industry in order to better prepare students for careers, to strengthen the link between what is taught in school with real-life applications in Iowa industry.
During the summer, educators work side-by-side with knowledgeable and skilled industry employees who help bring the classroom curriculum alive. Externships are full-time, six-week temporary summer positions in local business and agencies for secondary teachers (grades 7-12) of mathematics, science and/or technology. Teachers earn a stipend of up to $4800, as well as one graduate credit through UNI’s Continuing Education program paid for by the Teacher Externships program. There is also the option of earning two Licensure Renewal credits offered through AEA 267.
Over the eight years of this successful program, nearly 120 Iowa workplaces have hosted more than 230 Teacher Externs. Workplace hosts located within the NW STEM Region include the following:
- Diamond Vogel Paints, Orange City
- GKN Wheels Inc., Armstrong and Estherville
- Iowa DNR, Carroll, Onawa, and Rockwell City
- Iowa DNR, Spirit Lake Fish Hatchery
- Iowa Lakeside Laboratory, Milford
- Legacy Building Company, Orange City
- Merrill Manufacturing Co., Storm Lake
- Milford Electric Inc., Milford
- Poet Biorefining, Ashton
- Rosenboom Machine & Tool, Inc. of Sheldon and Spirit Lake
- Sudenga Industries, Inc., George
- Wells Blue Bunny, Le Mars