Spring 2021 Semester
Dear Laker Employees and Students,
As the President of Iowa Lakes Community College, I would like to express my gratitude to everyone for the many mitigation efforts put forth during the fall semester.
Your willingness to adhere to the established Iowa Lakes COVID-19 policies and procedures of practicing social distancing, wearing masks, and following quarantine guidelines has allowed us to limit the exposures and spread of COVID-19 on our campuses.
Thank you for all of your efforts, and please continue to do your part in protecting the Iowa Lakes community's health and safety.
I am writing this message today to share news about the spring semester at Iowa Lakes, as we continue to look forward to the possibilities for the summer and fall 2021 terms.
The Iowa Lakes Spring 2021 Schedule is highlighted below:
- Iowa Lakes will follow the currently approved calendar for the spring semester.
- Group activities allowed only where COVID-19 protocols can be maintained, and if the activity cannot be conducted virtually. Masks shall be worn at all times.
- Athletics programs will follow their separate protocols for practice and competitions.
- Students & families may register and visit campus by appointment.
- Virtual student orientations and limited in-person orientations are allowed.
- Offices will open on Monday, January 4, 2021.
- Faculty will resume working on campus on January 12, 2021. There may be limited exceptions.
- January 12 is a professional development day for faculty. All professional development activities will be held virtually, through Zoom or Teams.
- Classes resume on January 13, 2021.
- Arts & Science courses will be held virtually with exceptions. Faculty will teach from campus with exceptions. Courses will be held by Laker Live, synchronous with set days and times.
- Science courses requiring the use of a lab will be held on campus with masks required.
- Career and Technical courses will be held on campus in smaller sections as room size allows following College protocol. Faculty will be advised to complete the face-to-face requirements as early in the term as possible. College shall be prepared to move all classes virtually at any time during the semester, if necessary.
- Any student or employee who becomes symptomatic or tests positive for COVID-19 must work with Kathy Muller, Dee Hiney, or Julie Williams and isolate according to the rules of Public Health and/or their personal health care provider. Public Health will provide contact tracing. Iowa Lakes employees will assist.
- Flexibility for instructional delivery will align with approved Iowa Lakes Community College Board Policies, Iowa Department of Education guidelines, and Higher Learning Commission.
- Classes will resume in person or remotely following the same protocol as outlined for credit classes.
- Any courses that can be delivered virtually will be held in that manner.
- Training resumes in person or remotely following the business customer requirements and Iowa Lakes' protocols.
- Instructors may teach from campus if data supports.
- Courses by Laker Live, with set days & times.
- Trainings that cannot follow College protocol or be delivered remotely shall be postponed.
Campus Activity (non-classroom related)
- Public usage of the facility will resume following College protocol.
- Athletics-Decision by NJCAA, all championship seasons have been moved to spring.
- Wellness Center: Following College protocol.
- Intramurals: Small group events with social distancing, masks, and minimal surface exposure, with frequent cleaning and virtual events.
- Student government will meet virtually weekly and plan virtual and small group events with social distancing, masks, and minimal surface exposure with frequent cleaning and Dean approved activities for the spring term.
- Dining Services: Follow CDC recommendations. Disposable food service items, pre-packaging salads/desserts, worker shifts, processes for lines, and extending serving hours.
As the Spring Semester approaches, we appreciate your flexibility and trust as we look forward to helping our students explore their potential and work toward academic success.
For more information regarding the Spring 2021 semester, contact Julie Williams, Executive Dean of Students, at 712-362-7912 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates to the Spring 2021 schedule will be available on the Iowa Lakes website at www.iowalakes.edu/spring2021semester.
At Iowa Lakes...We are Laker Proud.