Upward Bound Summer Program Tutor/Counselor
- Part Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: Federally-funded position from June 8, 2020 to July 15, 2020. Approximately 25 students from area high schools will be housed on the Emmetsburg campus of Iowa Lakes Community College where they will be exposed to a residential living experience. The Counselors will work with certified instructors in academic areas and lead/supervise students during cultural, recreational and social activities. In addition, the Counselors will be responsible for the students on a 24-hour basis from Monday morning until Friday afternoon during the Upward Bound Summer Program.
REPORT TO: Residential Director under the supervision of the Upward Bound Manager and TRIO Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Supervision of students and tutoring in academic courses.
- Provide a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere conducive to maximum student growth.
- Interpret and ensure compliance of rules and regulations of students.
- Work with program staff in enforcement of program policies.
- Assure that dormitory discipline and related matters are handled in a fair and consistent manner.
- Transport students to and from scheduled off-campus activities in college vans. Fifteen-passenger chauffeur’s license required.
- Assist students from Monday morning until Friday afternoon during the residential program.
- Attend all required staff meetings.
- Prepare and lead enrichment activities as assigned.
- Keep and prepare reports and records as assigned by the Upward Bound Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High level of maturity, motivation and responsibility.
- Ability to work independently and is organized and dependable.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skill.
- Must be able to work with a team.
- Must be able and willing to obtain a chauffeur’s license.
- Must live in residence hall with students from June 8 – July 15, 2020.
- Must attend orientation session for all staff – June 3-5, 2020.
- Will not work weekends or July 3, 2020.
Light to medium work. Position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 10 pounds constantly to lift or move objects. Must be able to perform routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions continually. Occasional kneeling and crawling. Must have valid driver’s license and chauffeur’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance. Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Prefer college junior, senior or college graduate and/or prior camp counselor experience. Cumulative grade point average above 2.75. Previous experience in working with high school youth.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Furnished room and board; meals when food service is open.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Review of applications will begin April 6, 2020.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or email@example.com
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.