Success Center Instructional Assistant
- Part Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time position (up to 20 hours/week) at the Emmetsburg Success Center. Primary responsibilities are to provide instructional tutoring assistance and student support in developmental mathematics and successful learning, register, tutor and support of High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), Adult Basic Education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL), and high school credit recovery students. Maintenance of student records for independent study and HSED/high school credit recovery will be required.
CLASSIFICATION: Professional Support B
DEPARTMENT: Success Center-Emmetsburg Campus
REPORT TO: Executive Dean of Emmetsburg Campus
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Provide tutoring and instructional support for developmental mathematics and successful learning classes.
- Provide academic assistance to students in the Success Center.
- Maintain student files and grade book for Success Center courses.
- Administer HSED pretests and other tests for college credit courses, high school completion classes and developmental education courses.
- Administer ACCUPLACER tests and record student scores.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports of HSED attendance.
- Assign mid-term and final grades for college credit and developmental courses.
- Administer CLEP tests and proctor tests for online courses.
- Advise students and assist in registration for classes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and educational media equipment.
- Ability to teach developmental mathematics and keyboarding classes.
- Ability to interact effectively with students and college personnel to promote student success.
- Thorough knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, punctuation and mathematics/algebra.
- Ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic in performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to work with academically under-prepared students.
- Work with supervisor to effectively manage day to day operations in the Success Center.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Position involves sitting or standing most of the time in an office or classroom/laboratory setting. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally. May be required to travel between sites utilizing person vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in education, business, math or related field required. Master’s degree preferred. Demonstrated experience in teaching or counseling preferred.
SALARY: $20.25 per hour
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid sick leave, vacation and holidays. Employee retirement plan.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Position remains open until filled. Review of applications begins August 17, 2020.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at email@example.com. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, email@example.com, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.