- Full Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a full-time position located on the Estherville Campus. Individual needs to possess skills in one or more specific trade areas but will be primarily engaged in duties related to general construction maintenance and repair, crack filling and striping parking lots, plumbing installation and repair, basic electrical and general facility maintenance. Computer skills are beneficial. Employee will also be required to perform custodial or janitorial duties as directed by the supervisor. Requires early morning snow removal responsibilities and possible weekend and evening hours. Job duties may be performed at all campuses and in all buildings or facilities. This is an “essential” personnel position and will require the employee to work during periods of adverse weather.
DEPARTMENT: Building & Grounds
REPORT TO: Executive Director of Facilities Management
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Repair and maintain physical structure, electrical systems, plumbing systems.
- Diagnose problems and make repairs accordingly.
- Act as security personnel by monitoring for unusual activities or personnel and reporting same.
- Work collaboratively with others to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Install new systems or modify existing systems.
- Perform custodial duties of sweeping, mopping, buffing, vacuuming, wiping or otherwise clean or keep orderly classrooms, offices, bathroom, labs, etc.
- Order parts or equipment as needed for repairs or replacements.
- Move materials, furniture or equipment between classrooms or buildings.
- Lock or unlock facility as directed by supervisor or according to building schedule.
- Remove snow or ice from sidewalks or driveways during winter months.
- Mow lawns or assist with lawn or shrubbery care.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in a most positive manner to employees, students, visitors, and the general public.
- Ability to perform medium lifting and repetitious physical activity.
- Experience, training or education sufficient to perform duties and responsibilities normally associated with a skilled trade occupation.
- Knowledge of use of common cleaning implements such as mops, brooms and common cleaning solutions such as floor wax, furniture wax, detergents, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely operate common cleaning equipment such as vacuum cleaners, wet vacs, shampoo machines and other standard cleaning equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use common maintenance and repair tools, such as hammers, saws, wrenches, etc.
- Ability to use computer, excel spreadsheets, and learn hvac scheduling system
- Ability to operate lawn mowers, snow removal equipment, dump truck and forklift and be responsible for their maintenance.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Medium work. Position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%); up to 20 pounds frequently (34-66%); and up to 10 pounds constantly to lift or move objects. Must be able to perform routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions continually. Occasional kneeling and crawling. May be subject to bio-hazardous waste, chemicals, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and ladders, atmospheric conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin, fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation, noise, and vibrations. Must complete Bloodborne Pathogens Training because of potential exposure to blood or body fluids while performing cleaning duties. Possess or be willing to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). Employee will be subject to drug and alcohol testing. Will be required to attend all Safety meetings, CPR training and other work related training.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or equivalency required. Education, training, or experience in skilled maintenance area sufficient to function independently in diagnosing problems, making repairs, or replacements is required. Custodial or housekeeping experience helpful.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and related experience. Minimum $15.25/hr.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays. Employee health, dental, and vision insurance. Partially funded family insurance available. Employee life and disability insurance. Retirement package.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Review of applications will begin August 17, 2020.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or email@example.com
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.