- Full Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: The Iowa Lakes Community College Library Director is in charge of managing library services, overseeing staff, coordinating with students, faculty and staff and working to improve library facilities. He/she also serves the college and the public by setting up college and community events and acting in a public relations role. The Director will prepare budgets and negotiate contracts for services and equipment and work with faculty to acquire appropriate educational materials and resources for teaching and learning. The Director will be responsible for opening library, scheduling staff, maintaining the catalog, hiring employees, and implementing the library's programming and policies. Travel between Iowa Lakes Campuses is required.
DEPARTMENT: Student Services
REPORT TO: Executive Dean of Students
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Plan and administer library services for all college campuses.
- Prepare and administer the library budget.
- Develop the library’s collection of all types of materials, print and non-print and maintain catalog.
- Plan and maintain all digital services such as databases and the library’s webpage.
- Provide library instruction to students, both face-to-face and online.
- Supervise and evaluate the library staff.
- Prepare work schedules and approve payroll.
- Collaborate with faculty to provide materials that support their programs.
- Evaluate and weed the library’s collection to provide updated and relevant materials.
- Keep current of developments in the library science field.
- Oversee the testing services offered by the library.
- Provide outreach to the college and local community by promoting the library’s services including displays in the library.
- Provide assistance to the library patrons in locating and selecting library materials.
- Prepare and submit annual library reports.
- Plan and supervise the technical services of making student ID’s, doing annual inventory of the library collection, and compiling circulation statistics from the Library Management System.
- Hire and train new library staff.
- Serve on college committees and attend meetings with other community college librarians.
- Serves on committees and teams as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs related work as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of library operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of library automation.
- Basic knowledge of the classification systems used to arrange books.
- Knowledge of collection development and available resources to meet the needs of the library users.
- Knowledge of the use of reference materials.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Ability to access input and retrieve information from a computer for word processing, data base information, and the mainframe.
- Represent the College in a positive manner to employees, students, visitors, and the general public.
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic in performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written documentation.
- Ability to read and understand written and oral instruction or communication.
- Ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Ability to assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems and exercise good judgment when making decisions; maintaining student confidentiality.
- Ability to establish rapport with students, parents, faculty and staff.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Sedentary to light work. Position involves sitting most of the time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%). Stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, carrying, and repetitive motion occasionally (10-33%). Walking, lifting and grasping frequently (34-66%). Talking, hearing, and viewing various types of close visual work constantly (67-100%). May be required to travel utilizing personal vehicle. Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Master's Degree in Library Science, a minimum of 3 years’ work experience in a library setting, 3 years’ experience with staff supervision, and budget experience is required. Must possess exceptional customer service, communication and organization skills.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays. Employee health, dental, and vision insurance. Partially funded family insurance available. Employee life and disability insurance. Employee retirement plan.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Position open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or email@example.com
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.