- Part Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time position, approximately 20-25 hours per week, located at the Estherville Campus. Under the supervision of the Director of Libraries, this position performs circulation tasks; assists patrons with reference inquiries and finding academic resources on-site and online; proctors a variety of exams, including HiSET (upon qualification); performs tasks related to the college ID system; and assists in processing materials. Work may include some evening hours and extended days.
REPORT TO: Director of Library Services
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Assist patrons in accessing information in both print and electronic resources.
- Assist patrons using online Databases, eBooks, and related resources.
- Check out books with automated library system and retrieve information necessary for circulation records.
- Assist students with using Microsoft Office Suite and other computer programs provided by Iowa Lakes Community College.
- Responsible for keeping the library orderly on a daily basis.
- Enforce library rules for proper conduct as needed.
- Process new books to make them shelf ready.
- Retrieve and sort mail.
- Administer HiSET tests as needed (qualification required upon hire).
- Administer other testing as needed.
- Process student ID cards.
- Assist with processing new materials.
- Circulate IT equipment to faculty and staff upon request.
- Assist with book and equipment inventory.
- Answer telephone queries.
- Keep records for use in annual library report.
- Replace cartridges and paper in printers and copier.
- Report repairs or maintenance needed on Library equipment and computers.
- Assist in library reports as directed by the Director.
- Assist in budget-related work as directed by the Director.
- Assist in the supervision and training of work study students.
- Prepare materials for reserve collection.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in or ability to learn all library online resources, automated library system, Office and Outlook in order to assist patrons.
- Strong telephone skills.
- Be willing and able to represent the College in the most positive manner with students, staff, and the general public.
- Operate standard office equipment: computer, typewriter, copier, calculator, etc.
- Read and understand written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to spell correctly and use proper grammar in written communications.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, staff, and the public.
- Meet and deal with students and staff in a professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Sedentary to medium work. Position involves standing, walking, and sitting with frequent changes from one to another position; exerting up to 40 pound of force occasionally (10-33%). Occasional climbing, balancing, and kneeling. Frequent stooping, crouching, reaching, handling, pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying (34-66%). Hours may include evening work. Hours may change to longer days. May be required to travel utilizing personal vehicle. Must have a valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Associates degree preferred; library experience in a public, academic or school setting or secretarial/clerical experience for a period of no less than six months in addition to minimum educational requirements preferred. Must have computer proficiency.
SALARY: $12.15 per hour
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid sick leave, vacation and holidays. Retirement package.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Position open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at email@example.com. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, email@example.com, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.