- Full Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: The instructor is responsible for teaching classes as defined by the College and/or collective bargaining agreement beginning Fall 2020 semester. This position is based in Emmetsburg. Must evaluate and report student performances and progress in courses in accordance with College and division policies and procedures. Teaching assignment will include a combination of face-to-face classes, occurring during day, evening and potentially weekend classes, as well as teaching using multiple modalities (online, etc.).
DEPARTMENT: Career and Technical Education
REPORT TO: Executive Campus Dean
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Effectively organize, teach, and evaluate student performance and progress in assigned course offerings in accordance with established syllabi. Assignments may include various delivery formats, methods, work schedules and locations.
- Assess student learning to evaluate, report and record student performance and progress in accordance with College and division guidelines.
- Maintain current course syllabi and provide student guides for all courses taught.
- Coordinate program curriculum and facility.
- Maintain personal-professional licensure.
- Maintain established office hours.
- Serve as academic advisor to students and make referrals, when deemed necessary, to other College personnel, such as the Dean, Counselor, Financial Aid, etc. for more specialized information and assistance.
- Assist in the development of new courses and revisions of existing courses in discipline area to insure continued program growth and development.
- Assist other instructors and Admissions in recruiting students.
- Assist in the marketing of the College programs.
- Assist students with preceptorship and job placement.
- Regularly engage in professional development activities and keep current with developing trends and ideas in profession.
- Assist in the process of requesting and maintaining instructional equipment and supplies for classroom/laboratory use.
- Assist the supervisor in the budgeting process.
- Assist in the maintenance and enhancement of communications within the College and community.
- Encourage and foster student participation in professional organizations, College and community activities.
- Attend and serve on assigned and voluntary program and College committees.
- May serve as a student club sponsor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in the most positive manner with prospective, former, and current students, staff and the community and understand the Community College concept. Possess a commitment to a student-centered environment.
- Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Present oneself in a classroom setting in a manner that is acceptable and consistent with program and College guidelines, policies, and practices.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
- Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written communications.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
- Be a creative, energetic and self-motivated individual with demonstrated leadership and organization skills.
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and educational media equipment, as well as embrace an active learning concept for the classroom.
- Ability to physically perform cosmetology services and to teach for 4-hour class periods.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Sedentary to light work. Position involves sitting most of the time in office or classroom/laboratory settings. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and 10 pounds of force frequently. May be required to teach and travel between sites utilizing personal vehicle. Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Licensed Cosmetologist with valid Iowa license and a minimum of 6,000 hours of recent and relevant experience. Educational or teaching experience preferred.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and related experience for a 217-day contract.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid holidays, sick and personal leave. Employee health, dental, and vision insurance. Partially funded family insurance available. Employee life and disability insurance. Employee retirement plan.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
- A copy of valid Iowa Cosmetologist licensure.
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or email@example.com
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.