Buildings & Grounds Manager
- Full Time
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a full-time supervisory position located in the Facilities Management area of Iowa Lakes Community College. Primary responsibilities are to direct, supervise and manage personnel, projects and activities related to building and grounds on the Emmetsburg Campus and the Spencer and Algona Campuses. Work will include evening and weekend supervision of staff.
CLASSIFICATION: Professional Support
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
REPORT TO: Executive Director of Facilities Management
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Coordinate, supervise and schedule campus projects.
- Coordinate, supervise and schedule custodial/maintenance staff/work-study/work assignments on the Emmetsburg, Spencer and Algona Campuses.
a. Establish and maintain preventive maintenance schedules on facilities and equipment to extend life and efficiency. Use Excel spreadsheets.
b. Set up and supervise a lawn care program/schedule for total grounds service (lawn mowed, lawn edged, bushes trimmed and weeds controlled).
c. Set up and supervise facilities cleaning schedule/dormitories, classrooms, corridors, rest rooms office areas, sidewalks, entrances, grounds, windows, snow removal, etc.).
d. Ensure that floors are waxed or shampooed on a regular basis or as needed.
e. Ensure that employees are aware of and practice building and facilities securities procedures.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor on campus projects and activities.
- Collaborate with other campus buildings and grounds manager to complete joint projects and work cooperatively with campus personnel.
- Arrange room set-ups as needed by campus personnel for classes, seminars, meetings, etc.
- Ensure that duties and schedules are equitably administered to employees.
- Assume custodial/maintenance duties for absent employees or as time allows when not performing supervising duties.
- Maintain continuous and effective communications with employees to ensure completion of assigned tasks.
- Participate on assigned and voluntary committees of the College.
- Attend training classes/seminars/workshops to attain new skills and to maintain state-of-the-art knowledge.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in a positive manner to other employees, students, visitors, and the community.
- Ability to perform medium lifting and repetitious physical activity.
- Knowledge and ability to utilize computer and technology skills; Excel spreadsheets.
- Strong supervisory and problem resolution skills.
- Mechanical and electrical skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain necessary certifications.
- Ability and willingness to provide safety trainings to team members.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a CDL with passenger endorsement.
- Knowledge of use of common cleaning implements, such as mops and brooms.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely operate common cleaning equipment, such as vacuum cleaners, wet vacs, shampoo machines, and other standard cleaning equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to use common cleaning solutions such as floor wax, furniture wax, detergents, etc.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate lawn mowers and snow removal equipment.
- Ability to use common hand tools: hammers, saws, wrenches, etc.
- Coordinate/supervise the labs for the Housekeeping program.
- Strong organization skills.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Light to medium work. Position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 10 pounds constantly to lift or move objects. Must be able to perform routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions continually. Occasional kneeling and crawling. May be subject to bio-hazardous waste, chemicals; moving mechanical parts; electrical current; working on scaffolding and ladders; atmospheric conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin; fumes, odors, dust, mists, gasses or poor ventilation; noise; and vibrators. Must complete Bloodborne Pathogens Training because of potential exposure to blood or body fluids while performing cleaning duties. Possess or be willing to obtain a Commercial Drivers License. Will be subject to random alcohol and drug testing.
Employment at Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. Must have computer skills and operate Excel.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least three years of experience in Maintenance/Buildings & Grounds. Previous supervisory experience and an Associate’s Degree or a diploma in a specific maintenance area are desired.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid sick leave, vacation and holidays. Employee health, dental and vision insurance. Partially funded family insurance available. Employee life and disability insurance. Employee life and disability insurance. Retirement package.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, if applicable.
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Review of applications will begin June 1, 2020.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Lynn Miller at email@example.com. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Lynn Miller at 712-362-0409 or firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of Iowa Lakes Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kathy Muller, Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334, 712.362.0433, email@example.com, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576.