Student Referral - Educational Counseling
REFERRING TO THE EDUCATIONAL COUNSELORS
From time to time, you may find yourself talking with students who could benefit from the services provided by the Educational Counselors. Here are some tips for making a referral:
- Reassure students that the services that the Educational Counselors provide are confidential.
- Remind students that our services are FREE and available on all campuses.
- Suggest that the student seek counseling to help build their skills or increase their understanding, to access professionals on campus who are aware of college and community resources, or to have someone to talk with and sort things out.
- Convey to the student that you are concerned about him or her.
- Encourage the student to "try it and see how it goes."
- Remind students that they owe it to themselves to seek help for their academic/educational, career, and personal concerns.
In some circumstances, you may want to consider offering to walk the student over to see one of the Educational Counselors or allow the student to call one of them from your office. If you have any questions about making a referral, or require additional assistance, please consult with one of the Educational Counselors.
In an emergency, call 911 and notify campus administration.
You can also make a referral by completing the information below: