Work. Learn. Connect.
Linking Students to Careers
If you’re a high school student covered by the Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Kossuth, or Palo Alto counties in Iowa, we can put you in touch with area business to help you learn more about what local career you may be interested in pursuing.
Job Shadow Overview
High school students (grades 10-12) have the opportunity to take an excused absence from school to shadow an area business leader for two to six hours. Connect @ Iowa Lakes will inform your school attendance office of time and place. You provide your own transportation.
Steps to a Job Shadow
Is a job shadow right for you?
- Are you interested in several careers and unsure of what to pursue?
- Do you want the opportunity to connect with local professionals to explore your career interests?
- Are you unsure of what you can do now to prepare for your future career?
- Do you want the opportunity to learn how current schooling relates to your possible career?
- Find your area of interest.
The Job Shadow Career Choices List offers suggested careers that you can shadow. Still not sure? Contact your school counselor to set up a career counseling session and explore opportunities that fit your interests!
- Fill out the application
Fill out the Job Shadow Application. Have your parent or guardian sign the back and return it to your school contact (usually in your guidance office).
Connect @ Iowa Lakes accepts applications in September after presenting at each school. A second round of applications will be reviewed in November. Contact your high school guidance department for more information.
- Receive Confirmation
You will receive a text, an email, and postal confirmation of your placement. If your parent/guardian supplied us with an e-mail address, he/she will receive email notification as well.
Upon notification, the following is required:
- Call 712-362-0441.
- Plan ahead – read the Job Shadow Handbook and know the route you’ll take to your job shadow experience.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Prepare questions to ask.
- Check out the host’s website.
- Be an ambassador for your school and for all high school students in the world of work.
- Arrive 15 minutes early.
Check your calendar and then call to confirm that you plan to attend.
Enjoy your job shadow!
This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in a field you’re interested in pursuing.
Evaluate your experience
After the job shadow, complete the Job Shadow Evaluation in your packet. We need to know how your experience was and we use your feedback as a guide to continue improving it. Bonus: you’ll be entered into a year-end drawing for prizes when you complete an evaluation.
Send a Thank You card
Send a thank you card to your host. There is a sample letter in your packet along with a blank postcard to use for this or you may use your own. Feel free to send it directly to your host, or give it to your high school guidance department to send to Connect @ Iowa Lakes.