Linking Students to Careers
Connecting Today's Students to Tomorrow's Careers
If you’re a high school student covered by the Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Kossuth, or Palo Alto counties in Iowa, Connect @ Iowa Lakes can assist in linking you to your future career.
Gain work experience and find out if a career is right for you through Connect @ Iowa Lakes’ internship program. High school juniors and seniors can get 45-90 hours of planned and supervised career experiences. Interns learn new skills, apply classroom knowledge in a real-world setting, develop employability behaviors that better prepare them for the workplace, and gain insight that will help them make more informed career choices.
Steps to an Internship
1. Is an Internship right for you?
- Have you completed a job shadow and want to learn more about that field?
- Do you want the opportunity to connect with local professionals to explore your career interests?
- Do you want the opportunity to do hands-on experience in your career?
- Do you want to expand your resume and have real-life experience toward a field?
2. Complete the application
Download the Internship Application.
Be sure to list three (3) internships you’re interested in on the application. A completed qualified application meets all the checklist requirements on the cover of the application. Most opportunities are unpaid academic internships and you will earn elective credit upon completion of the course requirements from your high school program.
3. Interview for your internship.
You will need to interview notice. All students need to complete an interview to be considered for an internship.
Download a list of sample interview questions here to help you prepare.
Final approval for the internship program is based on your application and interview. Selected students and sponsoring employers are matched based on student interests and abilities, and employer needs. Please note that some internship opportunities are competitively sought after and not all candidates will be approved for an opportunity.
Tips for Success: Review and prepare for the sample interview questions!
Remember to arrive early for your scheduled interview and dress professionally.
4. Enjoy your internship/Earn Credit
You will perform the duties as outlines by the job description, working 45-90 hours over the course of the academic term, and you will earn academic credit upon completion of the course requirements.
Course requirements include:
- Complete the on-site hours are required by your school’s specific program and meet the host requirements and functions of the internship opportunity as defined on the job description.
- Attend and participate in the Career Development meetings sponsored by Connect @ Iowa Lakes.
- Complete the Guided Student Journal provided by Connect @ Iowa Lakes.
5. Evaluate your experience
After your internship, complete the Internship Evaluation in your packet or click here to complete it online. We need to know how your experience was and we use your feedback as a guide to continue improving it. Bonus: you’ll be entered into a year-end drawing for prizes when you complete an evaluation.
6. Send a Thank You card
Send a thank you card to your host. There is a sample letter in your packet along with a blank postcard to use for this or you may use your own. Feel free to send it directly to your host, or give it to your high school guidance department to send to Connect @ Iowa Lakes.