Real Criminal Justice Experience, Real Life.
That’s what you can expect when enrolling in the Criminal Justice program here at Iowa Lakes. Gain the tools needed to pursue a career in law enforcement, corrections or private security while earning your Associate in Applied Science Degree.
Take advantage of specialized training offered in your field through seminars and independent study. If you’re currently employed in law enforcement, you may choose to enhance your education with in-service training courses specially designed for you to complete your academic training.
Through field experience and simulation labs, you’ll gain real on-the-job training and exposure to be fully prepared for a career in criminal justice.
Whether you choose to enter the workforce immediately after graduation or transfer to a four-year college, our Criminal Justice program will help get you started for a creative career path.
Any student with an interest in Law Enforcement should determine if you meet the minimum hiring standards for the state where you will be seeking employment. Iowa standards are located in Section 550, Chapter I of the Iowa Administrative Code.
Acquire training in:
- Private Security
- Criminal Investigation
- Correctional Law
- Drug Use and Abuse
- Constitutional Criminal Procedures
Criminal Justice Program Outcomes
- Explain how constitutional concepts apply to the criminal justice system.
- Apply knowledge of the criminal and civil law to situations encountered in the field.
- Model an ethical framework at both the personal and system level.
- Assess rapidly evolving or changing situations.
- Use verbal, non-verbal, and written communication in a criminal justice context.
- Cultivate physical and mental health.
- Support the concept of service to the community.
- Apply basic investigative and procedural techniques to practical situations.