Real Electrician Experience, Real Life.
That’s what you can expect when enrolling in the Electrical Technology program here at Iowa Lakes. As the demand grows for quality electricity, so does the need for qualified electricians. Industry trends show that the need for electricians in the workforce will increase by 20% over the next 10 years.
Our program prepares you to enter the workforce as an apprentice electrician, in which you will be under the supervision of a Journeyman or Master Electrician. You’ll acquire 2,080 hours of on-the-job training right here at Iowa Lakes, contributing toward the typical 8,000 hours required by most states of an apprentice electrician before they may take the electrical examination.
Acquire training in:
- Power Generation
- Electric Motors and Controls
- Renewable Energy Power Systems
- HVAC Controls
- Programmable Logic Control Systems
Electrical Technology Program Outcomes
- Install electrical components and equipment.
- Interpret electrical blueprints, diagrams, and schematics.
- Diagnose issues with electrical components and equipment.
- Employ electrical wiring codes and regulations in accordance with the National Electrical Code.
- Perform daily tasks utilizing electrically safe work practices according to OSHA standards and the NFPA 70E Electrical Safety in the Workplace.
- Determine wiring for control, instrumentation, communications and power systems in residential, commercial and industrial applications.