The Iowa Lakes Community College offers two distinct options for students wanting to enter nursing. These programs include the Practical Nursing (path to LPN) and Associate Degree Nursing (path to RN). After completion of one of these programs the graduate will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN or NCLEX-RN licensure exam. Once the graduate becomes licensed they may work in a variety of settings such as acute care, long term care, rehabilitation centers, offices, clinics, schools, prisons, community health and many more.
- Submit the Iowa Lakes Community College application online at www.iowalakes.edu indicating Nursing.
- Complete the Nursing Program admission checklist.
- Submit the Nursing Program admission checklist with supporting documents to Iowa Lakes Community College Nursing Office, 3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg, IA
a. High School Transcripts
b. College Transcript(s)
c. ACT and/or Accuplacer Results
- In compliance with 655 Iowa Administrative Code 2.10(6), students and prospective students are hereby notified that they may not take courses with a clinical or practicum component or both, if they had:
a. been denied licensure by the board of nursing
b. their license suspended, surrendered or revoked in any U.S. jurisdiction
c. their license suspended, surrendered or revoked in another country due to disciplinary action
Acceptance Requirements and Curriculum
All program requirements must be completed prior to the first day of nursing core courses.
- Accepted Practical or Associate Degree Nursing students are required to attend the Nursing Program orientation.
- At orientation, students will establish an account with CastleBranch.com to monitor the following requirements:
a. Criminal background check; If the student refuses to submit a criminal background check or is not approved, the student will not be able to continue in the nursing program. Students may be required to disclose their background check results to a clinical facility.
b. OSHA/HIPAA training
c. Physical exam and immunization records
d. A current American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider CPR course including skills. You may take American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider CPR Online with Skills course at https://iowalakes.augusoft.net)
e. Mandatory reporter training
- Students must have access to a computer.
- Students will be required to purchase a uniform and supplies.
- All prerequisite courses may be repeated once to achieve a grade “C” or higher.
Approvals and Accreditation
The nursing program is approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing, the State Board of Education, and Iowa Lakes Community College Board of Trustees. Iowa Lakes Community College is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association.