Real Veterinary Technician Experience, Real Life.
That’s what you can expect when enrolling in the Veterinary Technician program at Iowa Lakes. Assisting doctors of veterinary medicine in a range of ways, veterinary technicians need in-depth training and practical experience to best care for and handle animals. Additionally, they need to be able to help their clients understand the care their animal is receiving.
Students will gain essential skills to help animals, clients and doctors through our Veterinary Technician program. In addition to the program’s coursework, students will gain hands-on experience with lab tests, radiology procedures and surgical assisting through our animal clinic observations classes and internship opportunities. This training prepares students for what to expect in a veterinary clinic or similar setting.
Acquire training in:
- Animal Anatomy
- Veterinary Law and Ethics
- Office Procedures
Veterinary Technician Program Outcomes
- Demonstrate collaborative skills as a member of the veterinary healthcare team.
- Employ industry standard office and hospital management procedures.
- Apply pharmacologic principles and procedures in veterinary practice.
- Perform surgical preparation, anesthesia and assistance in veterinary surgery and hospital treatment.
- Perform food animal, equine and companion animal inpatient and outpatient nursing.
- Obtain laboratory samples and perform veterinary clinical laboratory procedures on those samples.
- Perform diagnostic medical imaging.
- Uphold applicable laws, ethical codes and Occupational Safety and Health Administration safety requirements within the profession of veterinary technology.
The Iowa Lakes Veterinary Technician program is accredited by the Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA).