CLEP® Testing Information
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®) Iowa Lakes Community College
Credit by College Level Examination Program (CLEP®) at Iowa Lakes Community College
- Iowa Lakes Community College will grant up to 30 semester hours of credit by examination. The CLEP® exams published by the College Entrance Examination Board represent the primary vehicle through which individuals may gain college credit by demonstrating learning that has occurred in a nontraditional manner.
- The attached chart demonstrates courses for which credit through CLEP® exams may be earned at Iowa Lakes Community College.
- Iowa Lakes Community College will charge an administration fee for each CLEP® exam given. There will also be a per course fee for recording CLEP® scores on an official Iowa Lakes Community College transcript as they relate to specific Iowa Lakes Community College courses.
- Courses for which credit is allowed by examination will appear on the transcript with a listing that credit is by CLEP® exam.
- It is strongly recommended that students use the CLEP®-Official Study Guide located in the Success Centers prior to taking the exam to assist in preparation for the exam. In addition, prior to issuing a transcript, an application for admission to the college must be completed and submitted to the Admissions Office. Credit is granted only after 12 or more credits have been earned in residence.
- A student may take subject and /or general examinations, provided credit has not been received for any courses in that area prior to taking the exam. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Registrar. Students who wish to take the CLEP® exam should consult a counselor or registrar to insure that acceptable credit will be earned. If scores are to be used at another educational institution, verification of acceptance of the CLEP® scores should be obtained prior to taking the exam.
- Students who transfer to Iowa Lakes Community College from institutions where CLEP® credit has previously been earned must submit actual CLEP® scores for evaluation by the Registrar at Iowa Lakes Community College.
Policy revised by Roy H. Wiegert, approved at Department Chairperson Meeting July 16, 1979
Updated January 1987, September 1988, July 1993, June 1999, April 2001