GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time position (20 hrs/week) at the Emmetsburg Success Center. Primary responsibilities are to register and instruct High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), Adult Basic Education (ABE), and English as a Second Language (ESL) and high school recovery credit students as well as teach developmental mathematics. Maintenance of student records for independent study and HSED/high school recovery credit will be required. Some night hours will be required.
CLASSIFICATION: Professional Support B
DEPARTMENT: Emmetsburg Success Center
REPORT TO: Success Center Supervisor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
Constant (67 – 100%)
- Enroll students in HSED and High School Recovery Credit courses and assist with course work.
- Teach developmental mathematics and keyboarding classes.
- Provide academic assistance to students in Success Center.
- Maintain student files and grade book for Success Center courses.
Frequent (34 – 66%)
- Administer HSED pretests and other tests for college credit courses, high school completion classes and developmental education courses.
- Administer ASSET/COMPASS tests and record student scores.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports of HSED attendance.
- Assign mid-term and final grades for college credit and developmental courses.
- Administer CLEP tests and proctor tests for online courses.
- Advise students and assist in registration for classes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and educational media equipment.
- Ability to teach developmental mathematics and keyboarding classes.
- Ability to interact effectively with students and college personnel to promote student success.
- Thorough knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, punctuation and mathematics/algebra.
- Ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic in performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to work with academically under-prepared students.
- Work with supervisor to effectively manage day to day operations in Success Center.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Position involves sitting or standing most of the time in an office or classroom/laboratory setting. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally. May be required to travel between sites utilizing personal vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in education, human services, psychology, counseling, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred. Demonstrated experience in teaching or counseling preferred.
SALARY: $17.58 per hour
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays. Employee retirement benefits.
The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Positions open until filled; review of applications will begin April 21, 2014.
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Diane Friesner at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Diane Friesner at email@example.com or 712-362-0409.