GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time position (20 hrs/week) at the Emmetsburg Success Center. Primary responsibilities are to provide tutoring instructional assistance and student support in reading and study skills, register tutor and support High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), Adult Basic Education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL) and high school recovery credit students. Maintenance of student records for independent study and HSED/high school recovery credit will be required. Some night hours will be required.
CLASSIFICATION: Professional Support B
DEPARTMENT: Emmetsburg Success Center Instructional Assistant
REPORT TO: Success Center Supervisor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Provide tutoring and instructional support for reading and study skills.
- Provide academic assistance to students in Success Center.
- Maintain student files and grade book for Success Center courses.
- Administer HSED pretests and other tests for college credit courses, high school completion classes and developmental education courses.
- Administer ASSET/COMPASS tests and record student scores.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports of HSED attendance.
- Assign mid-term and final grades for college credit and developmental courses.
- Administer CLEP tests and proctor tests for online courses.
- Advise students and assist in registration for classes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and educational media equipment.
- Ability to teach developmental mathematics and keyboarding classes.
- Ability to interact effectively with students and college personnel to promote student success.
- Thorough knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, punctuation and mathematics/algebra.
- Ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic in performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to work with academically under-prepared students.
- Work with supervisor to effectively manage day to day operations in Success Center.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Position involves sitting or standing most of the time in an office or classroom/laboratory setting. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally. May be required to travel between sites utilizing personal vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Diane Friesner at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Diane Friesner at 712-362-0409 or email@example.com