GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
From June 16th through June 19th , 80 or more college bound middle school students will participate in a STEM–intensive program on the Estherville Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College. Tutor/counselors will work with certified instructors in academic areas and supervise students during cultural, recreational and social activities. Tutor/counselors are responsible for students on a 24-hour basis during the duration of camp.
DEPARTMENT: Educational Talent Search-Iowa Lakes Community College-Estherville, IA
REPORT TO: S.T.E.M. Camp Coordinators
ESSENTIAL DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
% OF TIME
- Supervision of students and tutoring in academic courses.
- Provide a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere conducive to maximum student growth.
- Interpret and insure compliance of rules and regulations by students.
- Assure that dormitory discipline and related matters are handled fairly and consistently.
- Work with program staff to enforce program policies.
- Supervise dormitory and campus activities.
- Assist students during the residential program.
- Attend all required staff meetings.
- Prepare and lead enrichment activities as assigned.
- Transport students to and from scheduled off-campus activities in college vans. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in a positive manner to employees, students, visitors and the general public.
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic in performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Must be a self starter and have the ability to function under limited supervision.
- Must have the ability to read and understand written and oral instructions or communications.
- Must have the ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Must have the ability to assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems and exercise good judgment when making decisions.
Sedentary to light work. Exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%). Stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying occasionally (10-33%). Walking, lifting, grasping and repetitive motion frequently (34-66%). Talking, hearing, and viewing various types of close visual work constantly (67-100%). Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
College students with math/science backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Previous experience working with middle school youth preferred. Position requires high level of energy, maturity, motivation and responsibility. Must be a team player. Must live in dormitory with students from June 16th through June 19th, 2013. Orientation training session required for all residential staff on June 16th 2013.
SALARY: $350 plus room and board
The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy.
Positions open until filled. Review of applications will begin April 30, 2013.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Diane Friesner at email@example.com. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further information please contact Quincy Paden at 712-852-5302.