GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time (20 hours/week during school year) position located at the Emmetsburg Campus. Primary duties are to tutor and instruct Special Needs students in the SAVE Program and to participate with their orientation, planning and scheduling.
DEPARTMENT: Special Needs
REPORT TO: Special Needs Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Facilitate daily operations of the Laker Café.
- Conduct daily Successful Learning Class.
- Tutor Save students, individually and in groups, enrolled in college credit classes.
- Assist to organize, teach, and evaluate student performance in various aspects of the programs within the college.
- Assist in maintaining student records and files.
- Assist in student program planning and perform clerical duties as needed.
- Advisement of students with disabilities in personal, family, and academic areas.
- Maintain student discipline as necessary to correct inappropriate behavior and assist with classroom management.
- Substitute for other special needs staff if necessary and provide transportation to students as needed.
- Participate on voluntary and assigned committees of the College.
- Regularly engage in professional development activities and keep current with developing trends and ideas in profession.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in a positive manner with prospective, former and current students, staff and the community.
- Ability to organize and present various concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust techniques accordingly.
- Present oneself in a manner that is acceptable and consistent with program and College guidelines, policies and practices.
- Assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with clients, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
- Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written communications.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
- Be a creative, energetic and self motivated individual with demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and educational media equipment.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Position involves sitting or standing most of the time in an office or classroom/laboratory setting. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally. Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance. Required to travel utilizing personal vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: An Associate’s Degree in rehabilitation, special education or related area is required. Bachelor’s Degree is preferred. Experience in working with students with disabilities is desirable.
SALARY: $12.00 /hr
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
Only completed application packets will be considered for the position vacancy. Position open until filled. Review of applications will begin November 7, 2014.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Diane Friesner at email@example.com. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Contact Diane Friesner at 712-362-0409 or firstname.lastname@example.org