GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time position (12-15 hours/week) housed at the Iowa Lakes Community College Spirit Lake Campus. Primary responsibilities are to recruit, screen, train, and place volunteers at public agencies and with non-profit organizations. Hours are somewhat flexible with very little evening or weekend work.
DEPARTMENT: Continuing Education
REPORT TO: RSVP Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Recruit, screen, train and place volunteers at public agencies and non-profit organizations as tutors, mentors, volunteer drivers, companions, friendly visitors and in other positions to meet program goals.
- Identify community needs that can be addressed through volunteer service.
- Maintain frequent contact with volunteers, volunteer site managers, DHS, Elderbridge, school personnel and community members.
- Oversee the RSVP transportation program, recruiting and placing volunteers as drivers.
- Maintain accurate records and collect data on program operations and program effectiveness.
- Produce and submit necessary reports to the RSVP Director and provide information for reports required by the Corporation for National Service.
- Attend required trainings and staff meetings.
- Promote public awareness of RSVP and various volunteer opportunities.
- Seek additional local financial support and in-kind support from the community for RSVP.
- Evaluate program effectiveness as directed.
- Ensure that all volunteers have rewarding and challenging volunteer experiences; provide opportunities for feedback from volunteers and provide ongoing recognition activities.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with Dickinson County organizations and residents; in particular, those 55 and older.
- Ability to work well with volunteers, site managers, and community members.
- Ability to take on responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise good judgment.
- Enthusiasm in performance of assigned duties.
- Ability to speak to community service organizations, city government bodies, and public agencies in an effort to raise awareness of the program.
- Possess leadership, management and communication skills.
- Highly motivated and able to work without close supervision, but willing to accept direction and guidance from the director.
- Represent Iowa Lakes Community College and RSVP in a most positive manner to employees, students, visitors and the general public.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Sedentary to light work. Position involves sitting most of the time with some local travel; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%). Stooping, crouching, pushing, and pulling occasionally (10-33%). Walking, lifting, carrying and grasping frequently (34-66%). Talking, hearing, and viewing various types of close visual work constantly (67-100%). Required to travel occasionally utilizing personal vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Amanda Schniebs at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Mary Steele at 712-262-8858 or email@example.com