GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This is a full-time 205 day position on the Emmetsburg Campus. Responsibilities are to provide academic, career and postsecondary education advising to grant program participants. Evening and weekend work required. Position is contingent upon continued grant funding.
CLASSIFICATION: Professional Support
DEPARTMENT: TRIO Programs
REPORT TO: TRIO Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Recruit eligible students for program participation.
- Conduct and assist with academic advising, assessment, and support services for students.
- Complete and maintain grant records as required.
- Meet regularly with students for tracking, mentoring, monitoring and academic advising.
- Serve as Student Advocate to ensure entrance and acceptance into higher education programs.
- Track students through consistent contacts during the school day, at evening tutoring sessions, after school programming, and/or Saturday activities.
- Advise student population to ensure persistence in ETS program and completion of academic core curriculum.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of student trips and activities, including but not limited to the summer STEM Camp, 3 Day Bus Trip, Success for 6th and Give Me Five Program.
- Conduct overall annual program file review
- Participate in voluntary and assigned committees.
- Attend regional and/or state conferences
- Attend and lead day, overnight and/or weekend trips or activities
- Other duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Knowledge of TRIO eligibility criteria and program regulations and/or experience working with TRIO-eligible students.
- Ability to communicate with ETS staff and within the college unit.
- Ability to utilize a personal computer for word processing, social media, and accessing software programs.
- Represent Iowa Lakes Community College in a positive manner to area K-12 schools, employees, students, visitors, and the general public.
- Must be enthusiastic and energetic in performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to utilize correct English, grammar, punctuation, and arithmetic.
- Ability to read and understand written/oral instructors or communication.
- Ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise good judgment when making decisions.
- Ability to effectively relate to participants of diverse social and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with local school personnel, human service agencies and other personnel of the college.
- Ability to meet with administrators, faculty, students and parents to promote a positive image of Educational Talent Search.
- Ability to organize and plan with the capability to work independently.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Sedentary to light work. Position involves sitting most of the time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%). Stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, carrying, and repetitive motion occasionally (10-33%). Walking, lifting and grasping frequently (34-66%). Talking, hearing, and viewing various types of close visual work constantly (67-100%). Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance. Required to travel utilizing personal vehicle. Some evening and weekend work required.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, student services, or a related area is required. Master’s Degree preferred. Teaching licensure and prior teaching and/or TRIO experience strongly preferred.
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid sick leave. Employee health, dental and vision insurance; family available with employee contribution. Employee life and disability insurance. Employee Retirement Plan.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The following items must be included in your application packet before it will be considered a complete application:
- Employment Application form
- Applicant Confidential Information form (This data is used to comply with government required affirmative action record keeping only and is not used for applicant screening purposes.)
- A letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- A resume
- A copy of transcripts, with originals due upon hiring. Only complete application packets will be considered for the position vacancy.
Position remains open until filled. Review of applications begins December 5, 2014.
Application: Employment Application
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Diane Friesner at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Contact Trudy Ahrens at email@example.com