GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: This will be a 27.5 hour/week position, afternoon and evening position, located on the Estherville Campus. Primary duties are to perform routine custodial duties including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and cleaning walls, floors, carpets, equipment, chalkboards/whiteboards, etc. Responsible for grounds pick-up, lawn care and snow removal. Work with cleaning equipment, expendable cleaning supplies. Job duties may be performed at all campuses and in all buildings or facilities. Some holiday, evening and weekend work required. This is an “essential” personnel position and will require the employee to work during periods of adverse weather.
DEPARTMENT: Buildings & Grounds
REPORT TO: Buildings & Grounds Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% OF TIME)
- Performs daily custodial duties in an assigned area, such as: mop floor, shampoo and vacuum carpets, wipe chalkboards/whiteboards, clean bathrooms, empty waste baskets, replenish expendable supplies, change light bulbs, clean walls, wash windows, etc.
- Monitor for and report needed repairs or maintenance needs to supervisor and perform minor maintenance.
- Act as security personnel by monitoring unusual activities or personnel and reporting same.
- Work collaboratively with others to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Lock and unlock facilities as directed by supervisor or according to building schedule.
- Move materials, furniture and equipment between classrooms or buildings. Set up rooms for various activities.
- Operate snow removal and lawn care equipment and machines.
- Provide guidance to work study students and any other program participants.
- Remove ice or snow from sidewalks or driveways.
- Mow lawns or otherwise assist with lawn or shrubbery care.
- Make minor electrical and plumbing repairs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in a positive manner to other employees, students, visitors, and the community.
- Ability to perform medium lifting and repetitious physical activity.
- Knowledge of use of common cleaning implements, such as mops and brooms.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely operate common cleaning equipment, such as vacuum cleaners, wet vacs, shampoo machines, and other standard cleaning equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to use common cleaning solutions such as floor wax, furniture wax, detergents, etc.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate lawn mowers and snow removal equipment.
- Ability to use common hand tools: hammers, saws, wrenches, etc.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Light to medium work. Position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 10 pounds constantly to lift or move objects. Must be able to perform routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions continually. Occasional kneeling and crawling. May be subject to bio-hazardous waste, chemicals; moving mechanical parts; electrical current; working on scaffolding and ladders; atmospheric conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin; fumes, odors, dust, mists, gasses or poor ventilation; noise; and vibrators. Must complete Bloodborne Pathogens Training because of potential exposure to blood or body fluids while performing cleaning duties. Will be required to attend all safety meetings, CPR training and other work related training. Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance. May be required to travel utilizing personal vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
(Save document to your computer and fill in application. Re-save completed application and email as an attachment to Amanda Schniebs at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also print out the completed form and mail it to Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.) ***
*** NOTE: Applications must be complete, including Employment Application Form, Applicant Confidential Information Form, Letter Addressing Qualifications, Resume and Transcripts (if required). See individual job descriptions for instructions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions and requests regarding application: Amanda Schniebs at 712-362-0409 or email@example.com