Iowa Lakes Community College Head Wrestling Coach Cody Alesch is pleased to announce the signing class of 2013-2014.
"I believe these young men have a desire to compete at a high level and are coming to Iowa Lakes for the right reasons," Alesch stated. "This class seems to be well rounded in the fact they have high goals academically and athletically."
The Lakers are returning seven sophomores and have signed the following athletes:
- John Christopherson, Spencer, at 125 pounds. Christopherson is a four-time State Qualifier, three-time state placer with a 4th, 5th and 3rd place finishes, and has 150 career wins.
- Freddie Rodriguez, Lansing, Mich., at 125 pounds. Rodriguez is a three-time State Champion, the second wrestler ever to win the JR. Triple Crown by winning the JR. National Folkstyle, has Freestyle and Greco Roman titles, is a FILA Cadet double champion and a Flo Nationals Champion.
- Miguel Calixto, Bennington, Vt., at 133 pounds. Calixto is a three-time State Champion, a four-time New England placer, New England Champ, three-time HS All-American, and placed third in Sr. Nationals. He has a career record of 226-15.
- Tyler Ellwood, Nashua N.H., at 157 pounds. Ellwood is a two-time State Champion, two-time All-State Runner Up, two-time New England Qualifier, and two-time National Qualifier. He holds a career record of 117-27 with 60 pins.
- Brandon Sorenson, Las Vegas, Nev. at 165 pounds. Sorenson is a two-time State Qualifier with Runner-Up finish as a senior, and was selected as Legacy High School MVP and athlete of the year with a 42-4 season record.
- Davion Franklin, Minneapolis, Minn., at 285 pounds. Franklin took third place at the Minnesota State Tournament in 2013 and third place at the Preseason Folkstyle Nationals in 2012.
"Along with these six individuals, we have several talented walk-ons coming into the program that will make the room very competitive. Right now we have 45 committed wrestlers to the program," Coach Alesch said. "We feel our freshman class is very strong highlighted by these six young men. There is a lot of work to do between now and February, but we like where our program is heading.”
For more information about athletics at Iowa Lakes, visit www.iowalakes.edu.