Coach Jason Nell, a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, received his B.S. degree from the University of Wisconsin River Falls majoring in Park and Land Management along with a Coaching Minor. He also completed his M.A. degree in Sports Administration from Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa.
While at different colleges, Jason has served as the pitching coach, infield and outfield coach, hitting instructor and worked on behalf of recruiting and running camps. He played college baseball at the University of Wisconsin River Falls for 4 years where he was one of few people who played as an infielder, outfielder, and pitcher for the Falcons.
Before arriving at Iowa Lakes, Jason was the assistant at UWRF for two seasons. Following a summer out in New York as a baseball coordinator at a private sports camp, Nell returned to Loras College as an assistant for three years. He has also been the head baseball coach at Somerset High School in Somerset, Wisconsin, for one year as well as the head coach for the American Legion Team for two years in Estherville, Iowa.
Since coming to Iowa Lakes, Coach Nell and the Lakers have achieved several accomplishments:
- 2 30-win seasons
- 5 All-Americans
- 8 Academic All-Americans
- 35 All Region players
- 65 players continuing their career at NCAA Division I, II, III and NAIA programs
- ranked as high as 6th nationally in 2006
- two players play on the 2003 USA National Baseball Team in Prague, Czech Republic
While at Iowa Lakes, Coach Nell’s team have rewritten the Iowa Lakes record books both offensively and defensively.
Outside of Iowa Lakes Jason has coached in the Northwoods League – regarded as one of the best summer collegiate leagues in the nation. Some of his accomplishments are:
- 4 years with Mankato Moondogs (1 as assistant, 3 as field manager)
- 2008 led the Moondogs to its first ever playoffs
- set single season win record at 41
- left Mankato as all-time wins leader as manager
- in 2011 named All-Decade team for Mankato as manager
- 2008 named field manager for the North Division in the NWL All-Star Game
- 2008 Field Manager of the Year
- field manager for the Waterloo Buck of the Northwoods League in 2010, 2011
- field manager for the LaCrosse Loggers in 2013, 43 wins, Perfect Game had the Loggers as the 31st best collegiate summer team in the nation
- 5th All-Time in wins for a manager in Northwoods League history
- coached 67 players taken in the MLB draft
At Iowa Lakes, Jason is also an instructor and works in the Success Center assisting students with a variety of needs. In his free time, Jason enjoys bow hunting, muzzleloading, and pheasant hunting along with spending time with his girls. Jason currently resides in Estherville with his wife Lisa, and his daughters Gracie and Chloe.
Entering first season as a graduate assistant for Iowa Lakes and is in charge of the pitchers. Attended high school at Salpointe Catholic in Tucson, Arizona and was a 3 year letterman. Played for American Legion summer ball team Post 59 for 3 seasons and is 2nd in all time wins for them with a 25-2 record. Played at Cochise College, Pima Community College, and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in general mathematics from East Central University and was a team captain. He coached this past summer for the Sierra Vista Eagles in the Kino Summer Collegiate League.
On top of coaching, he is pursuing a master’s degree in higher education from Iowa State University.