At Iowa Lakes Community College, you can become a scholar-athlete and participate in your favorite sport!
We compete in the Iowa Community College Athletic conference (ICCAC) and the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The Lakers have had tremendous success at the regional level with teams advancing to numerous national tournaments. Our conference is regarded as one of the finest leagues in the country with a well respected, high level of competition.
Men’s athletics offers participation for about 190 student-athletes in seven sports: baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming and wrestling. Teams benefit from an Athletic Training staff comprised of Kyle Norris, Certified Head Athletic Trainer, and John Boehnke, Assistant Certified Athletic Trainer. A comprehensive sports medicine network (including orthopedic surgeons, chiropractors, doctors and dentists) serves all student-athletes.
- Men’s Basketball has had national tournament teams in 1992, 1994, 2000 and 2012.
- Men's Basketball won the Iowa Community College Athletic Conference (ICCAC) for the first time in school history during the 2012-2013 season.
- Wrestling has advanced to the national tournament all five years of existence including three Top 10 finishes.
- Wrestling has had a two-time National Champion.
- Twenty men have advanced to national Golf tournaments since 1997.
- Cross country participants have consistently earned berths in the national meets.
- Eleven men were named All-Region performers in 2012-2013.
- In addition, one wrestler and one basketball player earned All-American status.
Laker student-athletes also excel in the classroom. 32 student athletes were named to Academic All-Region Teams (a minimum of 3.0 GPA) in 2012-2013 in the sports of baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer and wrestling.
A priority of the athletic department is for you to transfer to a four-year college or university. Lakers have transferred on to NCAA Division I, II and III universities as well as NAIA Division I and II.
The Lakers are fortunate to have high quality athletic facilities – both indoors and out.
- The Laker gymnasium, Hess Lundberg Baseball Complex, the Christensen Building offering an all-sport surface with two full basketball courts and two drop-down baseball batting cages.
- Iowa Lakes has a 40' x 42' weight room to support your strength and conditioning needs. This is in addition to our 10' x 20' athletic training facility.
- Swimmers are served with a six-lane, 25 meter indoor heated pool, 1 meter diving board and dry land workout space.
- The Soccer field is one of the most outstanding facilities in the state including permanent bleachers, irrigation, permanent scoreboard and lighting for night matches. Soccer student-athletes also have use of an indoor soccer complex.
- A new, three-mat, 122' x 46' wrestling room was built in 2008 which includes exercise bikes and treadmills.
Come be an important part of the premiere student-centered NJCAA athletic program in the country!! Explore our website, give us a call or visit our campuses to find out more.