At Iowa Lakes Community College, you can become a scholar-athlete and participate in your favorite sport!
We compete in the Iowa Community College Athletic conference (ICCAC) and the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The Lakers have had tremendous success at the regional level with teams advancing to numerous national tournaments. Our conference is regarded as one of the finest leagues in the country with a well respected, high level of competition.
Men’s athletics offers participation for about 150 student-athletes in seven sports: baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming and wrestling. Teams benefit from an Athletic Training staff comprised of Kyle Norris, Certified Head Athletic Trainer, and John Boehnke, Assistant Certified Athletic Trainer. A comprehensive sports medicine network (including orthopedic surgeons, chiropractors, doctors and dentists) serves all student-athletes.
- Men’s Basketball has had national tournament teams in 1992, 1994 and 2000.
- Wrestling has finished in the top 10 three consecutive years and has had a two-time national champion.
- Eighteen men have advanced to national Golf tournaments since 1997.
- Cross country participants have consistently earned berths in the national meets.
- Seven men were named All-Region performers in 2010-11.
- In addition, three wrestlers earned All-American status.
Laker student-athletes also excel in the classroom. Eleven players were named to Academic All-Region Teams (a minimum of 3.0 GPA) in 2010-11 in the sports of basketball, cross country, golf, soccer and wrestling.
A priority of the athletic department is for you to transfer to a four-year college or university. Lakers have transferred on to NCAA Division I, II and III universities as well as NAIA Division I and II.
The Lakers are fortunate to have high quality athletic facilities – both indoors and out.
- The Laker gymnasium, Hess Lundberg Baseball Complex, the Christensen Building offering an all-sport surface with two full basketball courts and two drop-down baseball batting cages.
- Iowa Lakes has a 40' x 42' weight room to support your strength and conditioning needs. This is in addition to our 10' x 20' athletic training facility.
- Swimmers are served with a six-lane, 25 meter indoor heated pool, 1 meter diving board and dry land workout space.
- The Soccer field is one of the most outstanding facilities in the state including permanent bleachers, irrigation, permanent scoreboard and lighting for night matches. Soccer student-athletes also have use of an indoor soccer complex.
- A new, three-mat, 122' x 46' wrestling room was built in 2008 which includes exercise bikes and treadmills.
Come be an important part of the premiere student-centered NJCAA athletic program in the country!! Explore our website, give us a call or visit our campuses to find out more.