Students enrolled in public and private high schools have available to them the opportunity to earn college credit and advanced placement while enrolled in high school. Iowa Lakes Community College and local school districts have partnered to offer programs from which the students may select. Enrollment in these programs is open to any eligible public or nonpublic high school students who have met the basic ASSET or ACT requirements for admission to Iowa Lakes Community College. An eligible student is a 9th or 10th grade student who is identified as gifted and talented by the school’s criteria or an 11th or 12th grade student. Some of the benefits for students participating in these programs are:
- Savings on college tuition and book costs
- Receiving college and high school credit for completed course work
- Ease of transition from high school to college
- Developing career focus and achieving academic and personal goals
- Advanced enrollment standing when entering college
- No cost to the successful completer
Students who desire to apply for admission and/or register for college credit classes may obtain the proper forms by clicking on the “Registration Form” link below. All students are required to complete ASSET or similar assessment before registration. The procedure for enrollment is as follows.
- Contact your high school counselor to determine your eligibility to enroll in college credit classes.
- Determine college classes for which you qualify.
- Save Registration Form to your computer.
- Complete and print Registration Form.
- Obtain all required signatures before submitting Registration Form (Student, parent/Guardian and School Official).
- FAX or mail the completed Registration Form to Secondary Programs at:
Iowa Lakes Community College
3200 College Drive
Emmetsburg, Ia. 50536
Before enrolling, it is the student’s responsibility to first check with his/her counselor and then the institution to which transfer is being considered for a determination of which classes will be accepted for credit.
The following are brief descriptions of the opportunities available to students. School districts may offer all or a selection of the programs available. Any student interested in receiving college credit for classes should first contact his/her high school counselor for information. Also included is important information students should consider when selecting and participating in Secondary Programs.
Classes are available to high school students through:
- Postsecondary Enrollment Option (PSEO)
- Career Academy Programs
- Tech Prep Programs
- College Prep Programs
Career information is vital to the student’s decisions regarding career choices and educational pathways. The Secondary Programs Department at Iowa Lakes Community College makes available to students a unique opportunity to gather career and educational information. By clicking on the www.iowalakescc-careerlane.net link, you will have the ability to explore a wide variety of careers and hear the comments of industry leaders as well as persons who are successful in a particular career. We hope you enjoy the process and obtain the information that will make your career and training choices a positive experience.
Counselors or students may contact the following Iowa Lakes Community College personnel at 800-242-5108 for information.
Secondary Programs Director