Wednesday, November 26: Due to inclement weather, Iowa Lakes is closed today.
The Iowa Lakes Community College Practical Nursing (PN) program prepares graduates as entry-level practical nurses. Graduates are eligible to take the PN-NCLEX licensure exam upon completion of the program.
What do nurses do and where will I get a job?
The licensed practical nurse provides patient care under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician in hospitals, long term care facilities, physicians’ offices, and home health care agencies.
How do I apply to the Nursing Program?
- Submit the following to Iowa Lakes Community College Admissions Office, 3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg, IA 50536.
a. College Application
b. Official high school transcript(s)/GED scores
c. Official college transcript(s)
d. Official ACT results
- Submit nursing program application by mail to the Nursing Program at 3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg, IA 50536 OR by email to email@example.com
- After submitting applications and transcripts if you would like to meet with an advisor, you may schedule an advising session by calling 800-242-5108, ext. 5337 or 712-852-5337.
Is there an application deadline?
The application deadline is June 1st for the fall semester and November 1st for the spring semester.
How do I get accepted to the Practical Nursing Program?
- A high school diploma with minimum GPA of 2.5 for PN applicants or GED mean score of 550 or HiSet mean score of 14.
a. Human Anatomy & Physiology I (BIO-168), 4 credits
- A student who does not have the minimum high school GPA, GED or HiSet score may be considered for admission if he/she completes the following courses with a GPA of at least 2.5 for PN applicants.
- Submit ACT Results
a. Composite score of 18 for PN applicants.
b. The composite score will be based on English, reading, mathematics, and science scores. The additional “Writing Test” is not required.
c. Students must request ACT to send official results to the Iowa Lakes Admissions Office. Hand delivered results will not be accepted.
d. ACT exam must be completed within five years of anticipated entry date.
e. To register for exam or obtain information visit http://www.actstudent.org
b. Human Growth and Development (HSC-186 ) or Developmental Psychology (PSY-121), 3 credits
c. Nutrition (HSC-163 or BIO-151), 3 credits
d. The student is required to contact the nursing program to request a review of the student’s application and transcripts when grades have been completed.
What kinds of classes do I need to take before entering the Nursing Program?
- 75 hour Certified Nurse Aide
- High school computer applications course or Computer Familiarization (CSC-101)
Who do I contact for more information?
Jane Palmer, RN
Program Length: 42 Credits