The Iowa Lakes Community College Practical Nursing (PN) program prepares graduates as entry-level practical nurses. Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN licensure exam upon completion of the program.
What do nurses do and where will I get a job?
The licensed practical nurse provides patient care under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician in hospitals, long term care facilities, physicians’ offices, and home health care agencies.
How do I apply to the Nursing Program?
- Submit the following to Iowa Lakes Community College Admissions Office, 3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg, IA 50536.
a. College Application: Please apply online indicating Nursing, full-time, daytime Emmetsburg campus.
b. Official high school transcript(s)/GED scores
c. Official college transcript(s)
d. Official ACT results
- Submit nursing program application by mail to the Nursing Program at 3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg, IA 50536 OR by email to email@example.com
- After submitting applications and transcripts if you would like to meet with an advisor, you may schedule an advising session by calling 800-242-5108, ext. 5337 or 712-852-5337.
Is there an application deadline?
The application deadline is June 1st for the fall semester.
How do I get accepted to the Practical Nursing Program?
- A high school diploma with minimum GPA of 2.5 or GED mean score of 550 or HiSet mean score of 14.
- A student who does not have the minimum high school GPA, GED or HiSet score may be considered for admission if he/she completes the following college courses with a GPA of at least 2.5. a. Human Anatomy and Physiology I Lab (BIO-168), 4 credits
- Submit ACT Results
a. Composite score of 18 or equivalent exam (Compass, ASSET, Accuplacer)
b. The composite score will be based on English, reading, mathematics, and science scores. The additional “Writing Test” is not required.
c. Students must request ACT to send official results to the Iowa Lakes Admissions Office. Hand delivered results will not be accepted.
d. To register for exam or obtain information visit http://www.actstudent.org
b. Developmental Psychology (PSY-121), 3 credits
c. Nutrition (BIO-151), 3 credits
d. The student is required to contact the nursing program to request a review of the student’s application and transcripts when grades have been completed.
What kinds of classes do I need to take before entering the Nursing Program?
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and Lab (BIO-168), 4 credits
- 75 hour Certified Nurse Aide (www.iowalakes.edu/continuing_education/classes_offered/health__medical/cna__nurse_aid)
- American Heart Association Health Care Provider CPR (www.iowalakes.edu/continuing_education/classes_offered/health__medical/ahacpr_acls_pals__others)
What kinds of classes will I take during the Nursing Program?
Who do I contact for more information?
Jane Palmer, RN